Monday, April 14, 2008

canticle 23

my steward,
you share with me
all i need;
my babysitter,
you tuck me under
the green quilt
of love;
my teacher,
you lift me up
to drink from
serenity's fountain;
my guide,
you point out
the walking paths
to hope.

when the power fails,
you take my hand,
so i won't trip
over the furniture
the evil one
has moved around
in the darkness.
your heart,
your joy
are a warm shawl
for my cold
soul.

you whip up
a gourmet meal
(but ask me
to share the
leftovers
with those who
never gave me
a crumb)
you pour grace
into my heart
until it overflows,
running down the
kingdom's streets,
so kids can
splash in its
puddles.

leniency and goodwill
tiptoe after me
wherever i go,
until i make it
safely
home,
where we will live
rent-free,
watching the sunset
that never ends.

(c) 2008 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: