Wednesday, June 19, 2019

canticles 42 & 43

like a kitten stretching
for a toy under the dresser,
   I reach out for your hand;
like  dog running to the water bowl,
after a long walk,
   I am parched for your grace.
Where can I go
to be able to look you
   in the eyes?
I hang out my wet, salty
sheets in the morning,
while my neighbors whisper
   'have you seen God
    any time this week?"

Deeper than any echo,
I recall waling to church
with my family,
   going to sing glad songs,
   learn stories about you,
   sharing our lives and hopes.
Why are you so mopey,
spirit deep within me,
   and why are you
   so vexed over me?
I will wait on you,
my rescuer, my God,
   so I can sing
   your glad songs.

Deep down, I seem
at loose ends, and
   so I recall those thin places
   where I found you.
In the waterfalls in mountains,
in eddies of pools,
   in the waves on the shore,
   i am baptized in your waters.
Each morning,
   you pack a lunch
   filled with love
   to strengthen me,
and your lullabies
   help me to fall asleep,
   as I whisper your name.

When you look at the photos
on top of your bureau,
   is mine hidden behind others?
I shuffle down pity's path,
   while bullies torment me.
I ache deep inside my bones,
   while neighbors whisper,
   'have you seen God recently?'

Why are down in the dumps,
spirit which is my companion,
   and why do you
   pester me so much?
I wish to find you, O God,
so that I can once again
   sing praises to you,
   for your reaching out
   to pick me up.

*     *      *

Be my public defender, O God,
pleading my case before
   a jury of uncaring folk;
from those who would grasp
me in the cunning clutches
   yank me away!
For you are my harbor,
   though my life seems
   to be drifting away
   from your heart.
Why must I wear sackcloth
   woven by those who dislike me?

Shine your love upon me
and let your wisdom
   walk with me hand in hand;
let them be my Sherpas
   to the summit of
   your everlasting life.
Then I will gather at your Table,
   singing praises taught by the Spirit,
playing every instrument
I can learn for you, O God.

Why are you so distracted,
seeds of grace planted within me,
   and why are you flustered
   by my foolishness?
I will hope against hope
that you will always love me,
   and hear the songs of my heart.

(c) 2019 Thom M. Shuman



 






No comments: