Sunday, July 16, 2006

i would prefer
to be left
leaning against the wall,
shuffling my two left feet,
watching the world
twirl by;
but you take me by the hand
to teach me
the dance steps
of grace;

when i walk near
the piano,
it shudders,
hoping
i will not sit down;
but you take my fingers
and place them on the keys,
whispering,
"play, play with joy, play!"

even with
the biggest bucket,
i can't carry a tune;
but you push me
out onto the stage,
introducing me as
the new soloist
in the Good News Choir.

i will celebrate your joy,
sing your hope,
play your love,
leaping and whirling
in your grace
forever!

(c) 2006 Thom M. Shuman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Thom, A friend in Hawaii sent me "Joy". She rec'd it from Boulder CO, who rec'd it from a friend of yours in NJ... Don't ya love seeing how cyberspace & God's Word/Prayers travel as such great partners!
I am glad to "meet" you & look forward to checking your blogsites weekly.
Thank you for reaching past the 4 walls of your church. Constance Gilbert in Bend OR