Wednesday, October 14, 2009

able? (mark 10:35-45)

hand me a
steaming cuppa,
swirling with just
the right mixture of milk and sugar,
and i am content
to curl up in my chair,
listening to you
all day;

but offer me
your chipped, stained mug
filled with that vinegary
mix of discipleship and obedience,
well,
you'll forgive me (i'm sure)
if it slips through my fingers,
shattering on the cold, hard
floor of my soul.

i'd bellyflop eagerly
(and all too easily)
into those warm
baptismal waters,
floating the rest of my life,
stretched out on my back,
watching the clouds
drift by, over my head;

but your invitation
to skinny dip in your
drudgery filled pool,
dodging death's icebergs
as they drift by?
you'll understand (i hope)
if i let someone else
go in ahead of me.

disabled by my penchant
for power and privilege,
how can i ever
do whatever
you
ask of me?

(c) 2009 Thom M. Shuman


1 comment:

Rev. Pink Dragon said...

Yes, yes, yes. Thank you for naming this so truthfully. I am here today.