Thursday, October 08, 2009

kneeling, i ask (Mark 10:17-31)

what can i do
to get that Christmas present:
- play nice with my kid sister;
- put away my toys at night;
- eat (all!?!) my vegetables?

what should i do
to deserve a brighter day:
- whistle rather than whine;
- smile at that person i'd like to smack;
- put a dollar (nothing smaller in my pocket,
darn it!) in the handler of the pan?

what must i do
to earn eternal life:
- not let my eyes wander over another;
- cough that gossip germ into my elbow;
- drop enough sins so i can squeeze through the gate?

at the fragile edges
of life,
where you lived and spoke
with the poor,
the possessed,
the children,
the outcasts:
was that where you discovered
even you could not save
yourself

and,
let go of all that you were,
so that with God
every thing became
possible
for us?

(c) 2009 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: