Tuesday, September 06, 2011

at the ledger's edge (Exodus 14:19-31; Matthew 18:21-35


each morning,
   i make sure i have
      my wallet, hankie,
      glasses, car keys,
            and
   a fresh page in my
         notebook
       to list all the
         hurts and slights
      which will come my
           way;

at night,
         before evening prayers,
   i power up the pc
      and my heart
           quickens
       as i pull up the
             spreadsheet,
     keeping careful accounts
                of
      what he said,
        what she didn't do,
   who hasn't apologized yet,
          who owes me a kind
               word
     but comes up short.

do you ever
        grow weary
   of stretching out your
            heart
     to part our seas
       roiling with grudges,
   so we might
     follow your gentle
          path*
      of
           forgiveness?

(c) 2011  Thom M. Shuman
* George Herbert begins his poem 'Discipline':
Throw away thy rod,
Throw away thy wrath:
          O my God,
Take the gentle path.

No comments: